Friday, July 22, 2011

Friday Flare: Miley

Miley my cow, NOT Miley Cyrus!

Sorry for my week and a half absence! The week my family and I always look forward to, the Junior National Hereford Expo, occurred last week. It was a JNHE that we won't forget. Many great memories and even a few bittersweet moments.
This was my first year attending and being too old to exhibit, or even be there the whole week due to work. However I'm fortunate I was able to get there 1/2 way through the week and see all the shows.
At the beginning of the week exhibitors participate in educational contests such as: speech, quiz bowl, team marketing, team fitting. Youth gain lifelong skills that they will be able to use as they become the leaders of the beef industry. These contests are run by the National Junior Hereford Association Board of Directors. I feel fortunate to have been apart of that leadership and had an impact on the association. Danielle was also elected to serve and retired this year (the bittersweet moment). Six years of Starr girls, yikes! She gave an excellent, tear-jerking retiring address. It made my trip totally worth it seeing her all grown up thanking Hereford breeders and the association for the the opportunity she had.
Now for the memories we won't forget part..... You've all hear about my heifer Miley that we showed very successfully last fall/early winter at the America Royal, North American and National Western. Well we exhibited Miley and her calf in the Cow/Calf show and won Grand Champion! What a way to end such a successful show career! I couldn't have been prouder of her! She is my favorite and I can't wait to see how she does in the pasture as a cow. It was very exciting, after she won we frantically called Lindsay & Brad (they were watching via Internet), Grandparents, Aunts and close friends back home to tell them the exciting news. Our Miley is well known (usual conversation) around our extended family & friends so all were excited! Thanks to my good MSU friend Jed for helping us out the entire time, with the unbearable heat we couldn't have done it without you! Plus his perk was that by luck of the draw he got to stay in a suite at our hotel, Hyatt Regency!
Please watch the final championship drive of Miley winning!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...