Friday, February 25, 2011

FFA Job Interview Contest= REAL Job 5 years later

Wrapping up with my National FFA Week blog post with my all-time favorite and most career-related FFA Contest: The Job Interview Contest. I encourage all FFA members to participate in any of the speaking contests offered (prepared speaking, creed, discussion forum) it just so happens that I drove right into this contest. For me it was one of the most practical FFA activities that prepared me for the competitive job search. Not many people at the age of 17 have a complete resume, references and are comfortable with the interview process; FFA members have the opportunity to "get their feet wet" in all these areas before they even graduate from high school.
In high school my resume indicated I was highly active in National and State Jr. Hereford Association, FFA, class officer, student council, forensics. As college took over my life I began to slowly take off certain high school activities and add in college stuff (B&B, MSU Purebred). Having an establish resume made my life so much easier when applying for internships and then actual jobs, all it needed was a little updating and prepping of interview questions. The first interview is always nerve-racking, so in the long run it's beneficial to get as much mock-interview practice in as possible. It's never too early to start practicing!
Motivational story about my Job Interview contest: My senior year I WON district, was SECOND at Sectionals (however top two proceed to state, but still alittle bummed), but then WON the State Competition, and was able to compete at the National FFA Convention! It just shows to never give up and keep on chuggin' along no matter how you place!
Hope you had an excellent National FFA Week! Keep up with promoting FFA throughout 2011~
N.Starr

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...