Last week there was an article in Drover's magazine, Al Gore's big gaffe. As a political leader he feels he has lots of power to change the way consumers think, however when leaders start stating incorrect information they're credibility decreases. I encourage you to read this information article: Commentary: Al Gore's big gaffe.
The main points from Al:
- He advocates that organic farmer is a more productive, safer method that puts carbon back into the soil. "Safer & better food."
- Synthetic fertilizer is bad method of farming. He said, “the reliance on synthetic nitrogen fertilizer is a Faustian bargain, kind of like steroids.”
- While organic farming is an option it is not an efficient way to feed the world. Synthetic fertilizer increases food production and decreases greenhouse gas emissions.
- Organic farming requires more labor and is more expensive to produce. Therefore increasing the cost at the retail level. In a time when approximately 50 million American don't have enough to eat due to the fact they can't afford it is that really the direction we want to be heading?
- Vaclav Smil, one of today’s most influential energy and environmental scientists, says that without synthetic fertilizer we would need an additional 1 billion more livestock to produce enough fertilizer crops, that would also equate to 2 billion more acres of forage to feed the livestock.