Monday, October 3, 2011

7 things you didn't know about pumpkins

Celebrate Fall

By now it's pretty apparent how much I do like fall (even though I love hot summer days!). I will admit there's so many fun decorating ideas you can do in the harvest season. Be sure to check out my blog tab and recent post for details on the fall items I've made and are available at The Flower Pot (Manawa, W) and The Lily Pad (New London, WI). My fall items will also be featured in Crosscut Solutions booth this Saturday at the Shawano Farm Market.

Now on to something interesting.. I came across this in my state of pumpkin design brainstorming and thought it was appropriate to share.

7 things you didn't know about pumpkins....
  1. Pumpkin pie wasn't always sweet. During the colonial period, it was "normal" to fill pumpkin with milk, spices and honey.
  2. Pumpkin used to be a medicine. Got a snake bit or freckle? Pumpkin will clear that right up!
  3. Jack-o-Lanterns weren't always pumpkins. Turnips, potatoes or beets were originally carved.
  4. Pumpkins come in over 50 varieties (I guess the cattle term here would be breeds)
  5. The largest jack-o-lantern weighed more than a horse. A New Yorker (2010) carved a 1,800 pound pumpkin.
  6. Pumpkins are grown all over the world.
  7. They're mostly water. 90% water to be exact.
Happy Fall! What are you doing to celebrate the fall colors?
N.Starr

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...