Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thankful Thursday: FFA

As a follow up to yesterday's Wordless Wednesday

Yesterday I was Wordless, today I am thankful. Thankful that at the ripe ole' age of 14 I had the initiative to get involved with my school's FFA Chapter. To most incoming high schoolers, FFA wasn't exactly the "cool" thing to do. And to be honest, I don't know. The opportunity to learn about agriculture, become a leader and stronger public speaker was intriging to me. The only family member who had ever been in FFA was my Dad, who spoke highly of the educational and career oportunities by being involved in this student organization.
I distinctly remember putting on my crisp/stiff FFA jacket for the first time, little did I know all of the places of opportunity it would lead me. FFA taught me to be a leader within my chapter, work countless hours to plan city-wide fundraising events and raise awareness about the importance of agriculture education. FFA taught me how to work with people not only my age, but also those who were older & wiser such as my agriculture teacher and alumni members. I won't forget the hours before and after school my FFA advisor and I would spend prefecting/rewording my proficiency and degree applications and conducting "practice" job interviews. My FFA advisor went above and beyond what any other teacher did for me. Those memories in the ag room will last a lifetime. Not only do I look up to my advisor as a lifelong mentor and someone I'll turn to for advice, she is also one of my friends. She even invited me to the WI Holstein party where one of my favorite bands is playing this weekend, now how cool is that?!
Finally, FFA was good to me. My involvement, dedication and public speaking skills allowed me to accomplish high achievements. My favorite memories are winning the WI Job Interview Contest (by far the most practical career skill I gained), National Agriculture Education finalist, state Public Service Announcement winner, and the scholarship money I receievd to further my education at Michigan State University.
I have a lot to be thankful for and I couldn't have done with without my parents and agriculture teacher believing in me.
My proudest FFA moment. WI Job Interview Champion!!
Thanks to all those who "practice" interviewed me in preparation!

Happy National FFA Week!
N.Starr

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...