Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Honoring lifetime accomplishments

A delayed post that has been on my list of things to do for weeks, a month to be exact! About a month ago, my parents and I hopped in the car and drove about 8 hours down to Louisville for the NAILE. Driving time was about 18 hours and we were there for less then 24, just a typical weekend for the Starr Family, really. But what we went down for we wouldn't have missed for anything. My professor at Michigan State and most importantly a family cattle friend, was inducted to the Saddle & Sirloin portrait gallery. Dr. Hawkins is one heck of guy that has impacted the lives of not only cattle breeders but students. He has a heck of a list of accomplishments that would be put any FFA Proficiency application or 4-H Record Book to shame. What was cool is that my family and I knew him well long before I made the decision to be a Spartan. Now how many of your professors were your parents friends with? It's rare, but just proves the type of people the cattle industry is blessed to have. I feel blessed to be called one of Dr. Hawkin's former students. I have good memories of sitting in his classroom listening him speak on beef management and livestock merchandise. But the memories I will cherish forever are talking about the calves being sold in the Fall Fest Sale, who I bred my last MSU show heifer to and doing Hawkin's chores while he and his wife, Kathleen were away. It's not very often that you can connect with one of your professors on such a personal level and still share a common bond after graduation.
Last summer, I was fortunate enough to be a part of group that shared how Dr. Hawkins impacted our lives and careers. I'll let the video do the rest of the talking.


Thank you Dr. Hawkins! Look forward to picking up where we left off at the next cattle event! GO GREEN!

N.Starr

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...